Popular Posts

Thursday, January 13, 2011

This is for all the women out there ...

Question: Why are we (women) insane? I think we have this innate need to be over-burdened. Today I have baked cookies, washed laundry, washed dishes, chased a two year old with an ear infection, made dinner for my husband on his break from work and any number of other things. Its a normal day other than the fact that I have the mother of all head colds; fever, cant hear, can barely talk. Would the laundry have still been piled up tomorrow, or the day after? Of course. And the cookies? Perhaps I thought the ingredients were going to magically disappear from my cupboard over night? I could definitely have gotten away with taking care of the kiddo and feeding my husband and checking in sick on the rest of my "To-Do" list. In the midst of dinner I realized I was thinking about how much I accomplished and how it made me feel like a good wife and mother to have gotten all of this done. Almost in the same inner breath, I realized how truly sick I was. Not physically ill but sick in the head to think that this was what was expected of me. Honestly, my husband didnt expect anything but dinner. My daughter just wants milk and a dry diaper. Maybe its time to rethink our priorities. It was such a small thing but the impetus for a whole train of thought about what my priorities are. It also brought to mind a conversation with my little Gina. This morning she emptied every box, every basket and every bucket of toys in her room. I sat down in her room and asked her if she could help me pick up all of the toys. Her response, "In a minute Mommy". Where had she learned such a phrase? Of course it was me. How many times have I said that to her? More importantly, how many times was it necessary to put her off for a "minute"? I know that I will think about all of these things as I lay in bed trying to fall asleep in spite of the coughing and sneezing. I pray that I will find a way to do more than just think about the important things in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment